Monday 16 November 2015

Show Me, Don't Tell Me! Evaluation

Welcome back! Today, I will present to you my 'Show Me, Don't Tell Me' task! In this post I will comment on success of planning, production and editing. Including the success of sound effects, continuity and camera shots and movements! Right, with all that covered, let's start!

First of all, take a look at my 'Show Me, Don't Tell Me!' task!


PLANNING
Let's start with the planning stage of this task. Originally, we spent around 10 to 15 minutes in which we outlined what camera movements/shots we were going to use including editing structure too. This is what we originally outlined:

  • An establishing shot showing the location in which the game is being played. 
  • Then, a pan in which reveals the two characters playing the game. 
  • After that, a shot/reverse shot of the game being played.
  • This is followed by an insert of the clock.
  • Then, an extreme close up of the winning players eyes.
  • Followed by a close up of the clock. 
  • Then a cutaway of the door.
  • It then cuts back to the characters in which the winning player proceeds to run towards the toilet. This produces a match on action. 
  • As the character is in the toilet, a cutaway proceeds to the other character cheating. 
  • The winning character then returns which produces another match on action. 
  • Then, a cutaway of the clock counting up from 20 seconds.
  • Then, the camera cuts back to the game in which the winning player makes another move in which he loses due to the cheaters move. 
  • Then, another cutaway of the clock ticking to 30 seconds which is slow - motion. 
  • It ends with a close up of the losing players face in disgust. 
  • THE END. 
PRODUCTION
Production was a fiasco when it came down to location, we started filming in one location, but was moved due to other requirements, so we had to re-film in another location. This was a huge problem due to the time scale we were given which was 2 hours. Now, due to this fiasco we only had 1 hour to film the task, in which I personally think we did well considering this flaw in our production phase. However, as soon as every was set up, we used to the success criteria to film the whole task once, which healed our time management a little bit. Overall, when I have to plan for my main product I will take time management into serious consideration.

EDITING
The editing phase was on my behalf, due to my personal skills in the group being within this area. Therefore, I took into account that sound effects has to replace the real audio from the camera, therefore I layered how I edited this task: 
  • I started by displaying in and out points in each clip that I wanted to place on the timeline. 
  • Then, I imported them all into the timeline in order. 
  • Then, I checked continuity with shot/reverse shots and match-on-actions. 
  • After that, I gathered all my sound effects from a non copyright source and imported them into the project. 
  • I then placed these into the correct positions on the timeline to where I wanted them, sound effect by sound effect. 
  • Then, I added the two appropriate sound tracks and equalised them so that each track and sound effect did not peak about 0 db's. 
  • Lastly, I added appropriate titles and exported the task!
Overall, My time management compared to production was more efficient because I knew how we wanted the task to look and how I wanted the sound effects to be implemented into the task. I can use this task to improve on my audio skills because, as detailed in the next section of this post, my audio skills weren't correct enough for the viewer to realise that the sound effect was a diegetic sound. However, this was my first time actually implementing sound effects into a film.

WAS IT A SUCCESS?
Overall, I think it was. We followed this success criteria accurately which is proven by our feedback here:

 

From this feedback video, I can outline advantages and disadvantages to our task!
ADVANTAGES
Firstly, we were complemented on our establishing shot (0:06), it wasn't too long nor too short which I was personally happy with. Our pan (0:08) straight after this to reveal the game was appropriate too and was smooth. Next, our match-on-action (0:22) was 'really good' according to our feedback in which I thought was executed perfectly. Our framing (0:30) was also appropriate and didn't contain white space. Next, I was extremely happy with this next complement which was our extreme close up (0:36) in which was at a slight angle in which the viewer enjoyed. After that, there was another complement on our second match-on-action (0:58) in which, in my opinion, was as excellent as the first.

DISADVANTAGES
However, there were some drawbacks to our task, which, when I look back on are absolutely stupid! Fortunately, for your entertainment, it's time to look at the disadvantages. Firstly, our sound effect for the clock ticking (0:14) was slightly out of time for the first tick but then recovered with the next tick. Secondly, our running sound effect (0:40) was 'slightly unrealistic' as it dragged across the floor which didn't complement the location. Next, our closing door sound effect (0:44) was slightly unrealistic due to the door not actually closing. Then, our attempt at a slow-motion tick (1:18) was seen as an imperfection in which the viewer thought 'that time just stopped'. 

Next time: ...